Contributed by Ravi Petlur on 10 Sep 2013
I posted the use of AppDynamics in DevOps last time and then, i came across this tool - SPLUNK. When I initially heard about it from a friend that it was more of log management, I wasn’t curious as I have so many Open Source tools which do that. So I thought why should I pay for a tool which just does log management. But then I used it and all my views changed. It’s a great tool for Developers, let apart what Ops can do with it (This comes from the heart of a developer ). I found it to be very extensible and useful in building that DevOps bridge.
• The Splunk REST API returns data in JSON, ATOM XML or CSV formats.
• Log on to Splunk from any application residing on any device or machine
• Build a custom UI for Splunk on any web stack.
Developers can extend the Splunk platform to:
• Run real-time searches and retrieve Splunk data from line-of-business systems like customer service applications to gain insights into user experience and system health.
• Integrate data and visualization like charts and tables from Splunk into BI tools and reporting dashboards to support decision making in businesses.
• Build mobile applications with real-time KPI dashboards and alerts powered by Splunk
• Visualize and analyse data logged directly to Splunk from remote devices and applications via TCP, UDP and HTTP.
• Build customer-facing dashboards in their applications powered by user-specific data in Splunk.
• Programmatically extract data from Splunk for long-term data warehousing.
There are some good projects which are published by Splunk with the above implementation in GITHUB:
In further posts you will see implementation of Splunk by us…. Stay tuned….
- Contributed by Ravi Petlur
Visit us at Neevtech.com to know more about our offerings.
© 2013 Blog | Neev Technologies